These are some of my personal favorite sports movie characters. Enjoy, and feel free to add a comment with your favorites!
1. Danny Bateman (The Replacements)- One of the craziest sports characters ever, Jon Favreau’s “Danny Bateman” is hilarious. Bateman is a crazed cop, who plays linebacker for the Washington Sentinels as a “replacement player” in place of the locked out NFL stars. Bateman is nuts and just non stop funny, from starting a bar fight to beating up his own kicker.
Watch Bateman get his coach the ball here.
2.White Goodman (Dodgeball)- Probably my favorite movie character of all time, Ben Stiller’s character is downright hysterical. A dumb, successful gym owner, White threatens to buy and destroy his competitor’s (Peter LaFleur) tiny gym, which is across the street. In the gyms place will be a deluxe parking lot! LaFleur and his friends join a dodgeball tournament to win 50,000 dollars and save the gym, but White hatches a plan to stop them, and hilarity ensues.
3. Ricky Vaughn (Major League)- “Wild Thing” is one of Charlie Sheen’s greatest characters, in which he is a pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. Sheen, who was a high school pitcher, had a fastball clock in at 85 mph! In 2011, Sheen admitted to taking steroids to get his velocity up. Even fictional baseball players juice up!
Great clip of Ricky Vaughn’s “Wild Thing” entrance
4. Happy Gilmore (Happy Gilmore movie)- Adam Sandler is hilarious as Happy, a wannabe hockey player who learns he has a nasty golf swing. When Happy’s grandma’s doesn’t pay her taxes, the house is going to be seized by the IRS. Happy turns to pro golf to win prize money and save his grandmothers house.
This clip is probably the best couple of minutes from the movie
5. Bobby Bouche (The Waterboy)- Another Sandler classic, Bobby Bouche is the man. Playing as a socially inept, stuttering water boy, Bouche seems to be going nowhere. It is only until Coach Klein of the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs sees the angry hitting talent Bouche has, and turns him into the teams star linebacker.
6. Hanson Brothers (Slap Shot)- The Hanson brothers are the best in this sports classic. They are best known for starting fights,interrupting their coach during his pregame speech and wearing absurd, thick glasses. Any hockey fan should watch this classic.
See a great Hanson started fight.
7. Ricky Bobby (Talladega Nights)- No offense to anyone, but I don’t think Nascar is a sport, so this is probably the only Nascar related post you will see. Still, Will Ferrell’s character is a great way to laugh at the stereotypes of Nascar . This movie is chock full of classic movie quotes, and any Ferrell fan should watch this comedy.
Paul Crewe (Burt Reynolds, Longest Yard)
Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone, Rocky)
Brucie (Nicholas Turturro, Longest Yard new)
Mr. Miyagi (Kesuke Miyagi, Karate Kid original)
Michael “Squints” Palledorous (Chauncey Leopardi, Sandlot)
Carl Spackler (Bill Murray, Caddyshack)
Cal Norton Jr. (John C. Reilly, Talladega Nights)
Nigel Gruff (Rhys Ifans, The Replacements)